Tips, tricks, and anecdotes as I navigate my first year of marriage as a Modern Day Wanna-Be Donna Reed

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Feathering the Love Nest

So here I am, up to my eyeballs in Crate & Barrel, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn & Bloomingdales boxes. My friends and family were overly generous with gifts from the Engagement Party, Bridal Shower, and finally the wedding. I have more platters and glassware, kitchen gadgets and Waterford Crystal that any girl could ever dream of! I am literally salivating with the thoughts of starting to entertain...Dreaming of crisp linens, fabulous cocktails, bunches of fat hydrangeas, and a table surrounded by close friends laughing, smiling and breaking bread. The problem is, there are literally ceiling height stacks of boxes containing all of my beautiful treasures, and i have NO PLACE to put them!
The Hubs and I moved into our new place back in December, and haven't really "made the house a home" We've been so wrapped up in wedding plans that plonking down the furniture and unpacking our clothes has been the extent of our "decorating" Not a picture on the wall or a curtain to be found. (There are blinds..I'm not that bad!) "Let me just get through the wedding" was my explanation. Well, I got through the wedding, and now its time to tackle the "feathering of the love nest"
I know what I like, but I'm always afraid my vision won't translate, and my home will end up looking like a post college apartment. I'm a married woman, and want my "Grown Up Apartment"
I want to keep everything crisp, clean, and not fussy. I'm in love with the white/blue/yellow combination for my "great room" that includes the kitchen, dining and living room.
Living room Inspiration

I just love this photo and can picture the Hubs, Prinny (our 7 yr old Shih Tzu) and I living here comfortably! It's bright, cheery, "done" but not fussy. I'm approaching my decorating much like I approach fashion, "You can't always have the expensive dress, shoes, and bag, but you can often have the clever dress from H&M and the Jimmy Choo Shoes." (Domestic Bliss by Rita Konig)

So alas, my hunt my hunt begins... Thank God I live in TriState Area and have every store known to man within a 10 minute drive! I'll update photos as the design progresses.



Master Bedroom Inspiration






Guest Bedroom Inspiration


No comments:

Post a Comment